Wednesday, August 27, 2008

First day at "regular" school

Jimmy's first day of "regular" school was a tough one, not tough for him but it was for me. It was really hard for me to leave him there where he did not know anyone and no one knew about the extent of his disabilities. He hides his blindness very well and he is very independent, he won't ask for help. I know lots of people think I am crazy when I worry about him. But, after all, he is only seven and I am a mom. Here are a couple of things that happened his first day of school.

I drove by his school during recess and saw him in the corner of the playground alone sitting against the fence. All the other kids were running around the field and playing on the playground. I pulled the car over so I could walk over and talk to him when he suddenly got up and ran to the school building, seconds after he started for the building the bell rang and all the other kids ran to the school with him. When he got home that night I told him I saw him and asked him what he was doing. He told me he could not see any other kids on the playground and did not know what to do so he was saying a prayer. When he was done praying he said he knew he should go to the school building.

I asked Jimmy if he introduced himself to his class. He said the teacher asked each child to tell the class their name and something interesting or unusual about themselves. He said he told them his name was Jimmy and that he had a wii game system. I asked why he told about the game system. He replied that it was all he could think of. Hmmm... the kid has had a brain tumor, is blind, half bald & wears a hairpiece, has has 4 brain surgeries and the only thing he can think of that is unusual or interesting about himself is that he has a wii game system?

Good for him.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

I can't even imagine how it must feel as a mother seeing your child on the playground and then later finding out what he was doing! What a great kid. I can definately see where you are coming from, it is hard to send your child to school when they may need you at any minute!! You have a lot of courage and from the sounds of it, so does your son!!