Monday, August 25, 2008

End of Summer, First Day of School

My little boys walking to school this morning

Well it is finally here, the first day of school, the day I have been dreading with some anticipation for months. I think I am the only mom that cries the day she sends her kids back to school. Sure, I will enjoy being able to get things done around the house and I will enjoy the quiet but, I will miss the kids and the noise and I'll miss the hugs whenever I need one. When I send them to school it just seems like they age an entire year in one day. I now have kids in 11th, 9th, 6th, and 2nd grades: where did all the precious summers with them go?

It was especially hard to send Jimmy this year, he is being mainstreamed and I can't help but worry about him. I worry about him getting lost, making friends, fitting in with the other kids. I worry about both my youngest boys, with their learning challenges, falling through the cracks.

I worry about my 6th grader, he does not seem to have any friends at school, I watched the other children run to their buddies on the playground, but my boy just stood there alone by the school door and watched the other kids. He really hated school last year I hope this year will be better.

I worry about my two teen age sons: are they making good friends and making good decisions? Is my oldest ever get his eagle so he can drive? Will they be able to understand the importance of getting good grades?

I look back at their summer, did my boys have good experiences? did we build good memories together as a family? did we have enough fun to last until next summer?

1 comment:

Angel said...

How did Jimmy's first day go???