Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Introduction to a new school

"Andy" 16"x12" acrylic on canvas

Jimmy is getting "mainstreamed" next year for school. He currently goes to USDB (Utah School for the Deaf and Blind) He is on the bus for an hour each way to school he has 4 kids and 2 teachers in his classroom, only 2 kids in his grade. We have decided to send him to the neighborhood school just down the street, it is a five min. walk away with 30 kids and one teacher in the classroom, naturally he is nervous about the change, so am I.

I took Jimmy to the school he will be going to next year, I thought it would be good for the teacher and the principal to meet Jim and it would make Jim a little more at ease if he met his teacher. When we got to the his new school the principal and teacher were waiting for us. The principal said to him "Hello, Jim, I'm the Principal" Jimmy reached out and took her hand and said very formally "I'm very pleased to meet you" and then turned and shook the hand of the teacher. The principal and teacher both looked very surprised to see such manners from a 6 year old. Believe me I was even more surprised. I do try to teach my children good manners but I don't think I ever taught him this.

1 comment:

Angel said...

Wow, mainstreaming? That is so amazing -- what a huge step for all of you to adjust to. Is he excited about going to the new school, or sad to leave his old one?