Thursday, January 17, 2008

The reason to love last minute house guests

Miniature watercolor 3.5" x2.5"

Let me tell you about my sister, she is perfect. I don't mean that in some snide or sarcastic way, I honestly mean it. I really admire her. She is pretty, thin and blond, unbelievably nice, she lives in a fabulous home in the hills of southern California that she keeps immaculately clean, and she is very organized. Let's just say were are polar opposites. My home is never clean and I definitely not organized I have never been blond, although with all the grey hair I have been getting lately I tell people that I am going blond, and don't even get me started on the whole young and skinny thing.

A couple of days after Christmas my sister and her family were driving up to visit the relatives in Utah they always stay at our parents home, my brother and his new wife were staying there also. Unfortunately my poor brother chose that day to have the stomach flu. So about an hour before she arrived my sister called to ask if they could stay with us to avoid all the germs. I told her of course she could. Now this is the amazing part, I did not freak out. I did not run around frantically cleaning I did not stress out and have the boys drop everything to clean up, I did have them sweep the family room floor but that is about it. If I would have known she was coming weeks or days in advance, I would have been stressed out and I would have been busy cleaning everything (as if I needed more stress at Christmas.) The whole thing actually worked out very well, I avoided the stress that would have occurred if I would have had more notice but, with all the benefits of having my sister over. We saw more of my sister and her family than I would have otherwise, and the kids just loved having them stay here. I do regret that because of plans I made before I knew I was going to have house guests I never had time to really cook them a meal. I do hope she got over the shock at staying in my messy chaotic house.

Oh, and we all ended up getting the stomach flu anyway.

love ya Zelda!

1 comment:

Angel said...

First of all, you are seriously delusional about the perfect thing. Where would you get an absolutely insane idea like that???

Second, we loved staying with you. I still feel bad that you had no notice, that we ate all of your food, took over your basement, and had Megan get sick in your bathroom. As chaotic as a trip as it was, we really enjoyed staying there. We kept feeling like we should get out from underfoot, and we may have been more inclined to if Bruce and Tara left. But I am glad that they didn't -- that way we had an excuse to stay. :)

Oh yeah, and I still REALLY want a WII.