Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Finding Happiness

White Tulip 2.5"x3.5"

When Jimmy had his MRI last week the radiologist asked us to come into his office where he showed us images from Jimmys MRI. He told us as gently as possible that he thought Jimmy has had a re-occurrence of his brain tumor. I was sick and in shock, as I stood up to leave I said "Thank You" the Doctor looked at me rather strangely I suppose he had never been thanked for telling someone such devastating news before, I thought about it, did I say thank you because it is a habit? Yes, probably, but did I mean it? yes, I did. It has to be a very difficult job telling people what will be possibly the worst news they will ever hear in their life, and he took special care and made an effort to lesson the blow as much as he could.

So I have been thinking about gratitude lately. I believe it is one of the keys to being happy. every time I'm feeling depressed I start thinking about what there is to be grateful for and it changes my perspective. I'm grateful for the last two years I have had with my little Jimmy, when his brain tumor was diagnosed we did not think he was going to make it. I am grateful for the kindness of friends who are always there when I need them, neighbors who went grocery shopping for me when Jimmy was in the ICU, left anonymous gifts at our door, and babysat at a moments notice when I had to run to the emergency room. I am grateful for the kindness of strangers, people who we have never met who sent us on a make-a wish trip to disney world, people who donate toys and teddy bears to Primary Childrens Medical Center so there will be something for my children to play with. I am grateful that everything we have been through has made us a stronger, more compassionate family.

No comments: