Friday, October 19, 2007

Bad News

Did you ever feel you woke up in your worst nightmare?

We have had some bad news. My little 6 year old Jimmy's MRI showed 2 "spots." His last MRI, 4 months ago, showed 1 teeny tiny spot they thought was scar tissue or something. His MRI this week showed the same spot still tiny, but bigger and another spot as well.

It is possible that this is just scar tissue and the MRI caught it just right to make it seem bigger and it is possible he got more contrast to make it seem brighter. The radiologist seemed concerned, the oncologist was very reassuring, but still wanted to do another MRI in two months instead of 4 months. His neurosurgeon Dr. Brockmyer, is out until Monday, I really want his opinion on this, he is almost painfully honest in his opinion but, I know he will tell me the truth and not sugar coat it. I feel that is what I need right now I need to know. That is one thing I can't have for at least 2 months.

If it is a recurrence it is very bad news. We can't do radiation, He has already had his lifetime maximum of radiation. And chemo does not usually have much of an effect on ependymomas.

No comments: