Thursday, October 2, 2008

painting on watercolor canvas

Temple Square Tulip 9"x11" watercolor on gallery wrapped canvas

I did this painting for the Utah State Fair art show. I try to do a painting for the fair every year. I usually hurriedly paint something the day before or the day of the deadline. This year was no exception. I frantically painted this the day it was due. This watercolor was done on watercolor canvas, the first painting I have ever done on watercolor canvas, it was a learning experience. It is nearly impossible to do any glazing on watercolor canvas, the canvas stays wet for quite a while and the colors seem to lighten quite a bit when it dries. Had I known that I may have used another technique to paint it . The watercolor canvas did come with a little "tips and techniques for watercolor canvas" flier, but I did not read it until I was finished with the painting. One tip I wish I would have known is that if you want to glaze on watercolor canvas spray a fixative between layers. I'll have to try watercolor canvas again and use this tip. The cool thing about watercolor canvas is you don't have to frame it under glass. If you fix it you can just frame it and hang it like an oil on canvas painting. I painted this on gallery wrapped canvas so I did not frame it at all. I did have someone from the fair call me to make sure that this was really a watercolor.

Overall it is not a bad little painting but it probably would have been better if I read taken more time on it and read the directions.

2 comments:

Jaime said...

WOW, that is amazing! YOu really do have a talent. Some time when I get done remodeling my home I will have to buy one of your paintings or choose something for you to paint for me! I love art and often am depressed about the little amount of art I do have on my walls!

Angel said...

What a gorgeous painting! I know that you rushed through it, but it turned out just beautiful. I could spend weeks, and it would probably never even look like a flower...