Friday, April 18, 2008

Breaking braces and rules


My 10 year olds teeth looked nice and straight so I was surprised when he told me that his lover teeth were making sores on the roof of his mouth. He was very excited when the dentist told him he would need braces. (He was also very excited when he had to get stitches.)


His two older brothers haven't needed braces and I have never had them so the experience is new to me. When we got the braces his orthodontist gave him a long lecture on what he could not eat. My son was given a long "no, no, list" of things he can't eat to put on the fridge as a reminder: no suckers, no jolly ranchers, no gum, no popcorn, etc. He was being very good about what he was eating and following the list.


One week later my boy came up to my and said he had broken a bracket on his braces. I asked him what had happened. He said "I was eating a jawbreaker....."

*Arrgh* "you are not supposed to be eating jawbreakers" I grumbled

He brought me over to the list on the fridge and said "look it does NOT say no jaw breakers."

Well he was right.


We had a nice talk about following the letter of the law and the spirit of the law.

3 comments:

Jaime said...

That's funny! Good luck with the braces. I hope you don't mind me posting to your blog, I enjoy reading about things other people are going through, it can give a lot of perspective!
Thanks for letting me read

Jaime Allred
Roosevelt, Utah

Melody said...

Thanks for your comment. I always like to know someone reads my blog

Invisible braces said...

Kids! Haha I guess that's quite common. I do hope you got the braces fixed easily though. Some orthodontists may be a bit picky with regards to it.