Wednesday, March 21, 2007

What Do You Really Want?

"Tulip" 6x6 on clayboard

About 7 years ago, when my 3rd son was about 3 years old, he and his brothers were at my parent’s home being babysat. My little boy was watching grandpa mow the lawn and saw him empty the grass clippings into the garbage. Now my 3 year old was (and still is) the kind of boy who likes to keep everything, he never wants to throw anything away. He thinks everything is useful (a collage artist in the making). So he asked grandpa if he could have some of the grass clippings. My dad having the weird sense of humor he has gave him a bag of grass.

When my three-year-old showed his two older brothers that he had a bag of grass they of course ran to tell grandpa that they really really wanted one also could they pleeeeease have a bag of grass too. Of course when I went to pick my kids up I had three boys and three bags of grass to take home.

Sometimes some of the things that we want are really just bags of grass. We want them because someone else has one and they seem happy about it so we want one also, but what it really is, is more garbage to take up space in our lives. Now when my boys tell me they want something I often tell them to make sure they are not just wanting a big bag of grass.

No comments: